Thursday, May 29, 2014

The Pantheon and Vatican City

Today was a great day. Each day I get more and more acquainted with this lovely city and it feels like home. I'm a master at using public transportation and navigating the winding streets of Rome. I had my first class this morning at 8:50 a.m., Conflict and Peace in the Mediterranean, where I've been assigned to the country of France. The class seems like it will be a challenge, but I look forward to learning about countries like Italy, Greece, Egypt, Turkey, Israel, Tunisia, Algeria, etc. It's so interesting to study these countries because they are so rich in culture and history, and they have been fighting for thousands of years! After my class got out at 11:10 a.m., my friend Shane Wery and I walked to the city center where we visited the Pantheon and Vatican City.

The Pantheon was beautiful, as all things here in Rome are. Because it is considered a church, silence is required while inside. It is fairly small, so we only spent about a half hour there and in the area outside of it. We got gelato, because we're in Italy and why not? Then we just aimlessly walked in the direction of the Vatican, having no idea specifically where it is, and we ended up finding it! We went on a tour and spent about four hours there, learning about the history of the church. I cannot describe its beauty and I'm afraid my pictures can't capture it, it is just stunning. It is crazy to be in a place as old as this, and it is also humbling. I was under the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel where Michelangelo spent four long years painting. I walked the same hallways that Pope Francis and the other popes before him had walked. I even got to see where the popes live and where they perform their masses. I am not religious myself, but any place with this much history is amazing to witness. After going through various courtyards, the Sistine Chapel, and St. Peter's Basilica, we climbed a massive amount of stairs to the highest point in all of Rome, as required by Italian law. The top of St. Peter's Basilica is set to be the tallest point in Rome, a way to mark its power over the city. I didn't die, but I felt like I was going to have a heart attack going up the stairs in the intense heat. When we made it to the top, it was totally worth it. I could see all of Rome, all of its breathtaking beauty and architecture.

After walking 17 miles today, I don't think I'm physically capable of walking so I will be going to bed early tonight as I have to wake up early tomorrow. I hope you've been enjoying the pictures as much as I have!  Have a good night and as always, thank you for reading!

Fountain in Trastevere, Rome


Mountains in the distance




Tiber River




Backside of the Pantheon

Fountain in front of the Pantheon

The Pantheon


Guy playing accordion

Entrance to the Pantheon

Ceiling of the Pantheon

Woman playing harp


Caffé (coffee) gelato

I think this is Italy's equivalent to our Supreme Court

Tiber River


The Vatican

Saint Peter was crucified where this statue is located

St. Peter's Basilica, the most holy of all churches in the world


Entrance to the Vatican

Pinecone courtyard inside Vatican City

Pinecone courtyard

The artwork on the ceiling was done by Michelangelo's disciples

View of Rome





Bronze statue of Hercules




The view of Rome from the highest point

My friend Shane



Swiss Guard


Vatican selfie

We weren't allowed to take pictures in the Sistine Chapel, but I did anyway. If you didn't know, the paintings were done by renowned artist, Michelangelo.

Another Vatican selfie

Shane and I walked up 551 stairs and it was so tiring

View from the top of St. Peter's Basilica

Walked almost 17 miles today

No comments:

Post a Comment