Saturday, May 31, 2014

Fontana di Trevi and the Spanish Steps

Today was my first entire day dedicated to exploring Rome. I made my way to the center of Rome towards the Fontana di Trevi (Trevi Fountain), Rome's most famous fountain where it is considered good luck to throw a coin in and make a wish. It was really hot and humid this morning, but as the day went on, the temperature dropped and it even started storming. I had just made it to the Spanish Steps when it started thundering and the crowd started screaming. I'm not sure if they've ever heard thunder before, but their reactions made it seem like they hadn't. The storm was over quickly but it was still lightly raining up until an hour ago. Some of the pictures I captured today were of ruins to which I don't know the names of. I could pay a lot of money to go on a tour of the city, but to be honest, I'm okay with exploring on my own, and I even prefer it. Being Saturday, tons of tourists were out and about, so it was difficult to make my way through the narrow streets. 

I stopped for lunch at a little pizza bar where I got proscuitto and artichoke pizza, probably the best I've ever had. My waiter was really nice and he even complimented my eyes- it seems like everyone does that here! He gave me a free dessert either because he liked me or because he felt bad that I was alone. Either way, I appreciated it and left him a couple extra euros on the table! I woke up this morning with a sore feeling in my throat so I have my fingers crossed this isn't the beginning of me getting sick. I'll fight through it because there's too much I want to do and see for me to get sick! Well, I've got to run to the supermarket to get dish soap and tea to combat this sore throat! Once again, I appreciate the large number of followers I'm getting, I have almost 700 page views, so a HUGE thank you to every one of you! I'll be going swimming in the Mediterranean tomorrow, so lots of beach pictures to come! Ciao!









These are what the street signs look like

I thought this crow looked interesting








He played violin surprisingly well



Fontana di Trevi, Trevi Fountain



A friendly horse I met by the fountain

The fountain was so crowded with people throwing in coins

There are fruit trees everywhere


It's not Rome if you don't see a nun walking down the street

It started storming shortly after I took this

The view from the top of the Spanish Steps

Walking down the Spanish Steps





The first McDonald's I've seen since getting here



I cooked dinner last night

Fontana di Trevi selfie

Proscuitto and artichoke pizza

My waiter liked me so he gave me free dessert

Top of the Spanish Steps selfie

Bottom of the Spanish Steps selfie

No comments:

Post a Comment