Monday, June 2, 2014

Republic Day!

Today is Republic Day, or Festa della Repubblica, which is like our Fourth of July. On this day in 1946, Italy voted to become a republic by overthrowing their monarchy. I decided to make my way towards the center of the city in hopes of witnessing the traditional festivities that most Italians experience. Unfortunately, I missed the parade but I still managed to see the huge crowds of people gathered and plenty of men in uniforms (I'm not sure if they're police or army). I was only out for three hours because I'm sick, sunburnt, and have lots of homework to do. Tomorrow classes will resume and I have a presentation on France to prepare for and a couple journal articles to find. It's never a boring day in this city, but my fun may be limited in the coming weeks. I've been posting to my blog every day so far, but starting this week, I won't be able to do that since I'll be busy with homework and writing papers. I have to accept the fact that I'm ultimately here to study, and that takes precedence over adventuring. But that isn't to say I still won't go on adventures! Next weekend I will be going to Pompeii and climbing Mount Vesuvius, the weekend after that, I go to Paris, then the weekend after that I go to Greece. So I have plenty of adventures to come, but during the week is when I'll be limited.

I suppose that's all I have to say for today. I was a little disappointed that I couldn't find any ceremonies or festivities to photograph and take part in, but it was still great to see the crowds of people gathered in celebration. Thank you for reading!


I never get sick of taking pictures of this building




I love my shoes!


A man blowing bubbles

H&M




The Spanish Steps

This man was toasting some kind of nut

The Spanish Steps were extremely crowded

Necessary Nutella gelato picture




Spanish Steps selfie

Tram selfie

No comments:

Post a Comment